We've Missed You!
We are pleased to announce the reopening of the South Huntington Public Library to the public, effective July 6, with regular operating hours.
Please note that all patrons entering the library must wear a face mask or face covering, and patrons must adhere to social distancing guidelines of at least 6 feet. If you or a member of your household is ill, please refrain from visiting the library.
- Patrons can browse library collections and check out items.
- A limited number of public computers are available for one-hour sessions in the Adult Reference area and 30-minute sessions in Youth Services. Printers and copy machines are available as well.
- Reference help, reader’s advisory, and other forms of staff assistance are available.
- Library programming for all ages will remain online. Please check the website calendar regularly to see what is being offered.
We have prepared the library building in accordance with New York State’s social distancing guidelines. As a result, seating will be reduced, visitor capacity limited, and some areas of the library may be unavailable. Questions? Check out the FAQs below, or contact us by phone (631 549-4411), email , or text.
Frequently Asked Questions
We will be happy to prepare your items for contactless pickup. Call us at 631.549.4411 or email email@example.com, let us know what titles you want and we will call to arrange for you to pick them up.
We are unable to provide meeting rooms for community groups at this time. Quiet Study Rooms are currently unavailable.
We have taken a number of steps to mitigate risks to staff and the public. They include:
- Altering the floor plan with reduced seating that is spread out to maintain social distancing.
- Installing Plexiglass partitions at service desks and at public computer stations.
- Making sure hand sanitizer is widely available throughout the library.
- Providing single use disposable keyboard covers and wipes at public computer stations.
- Continuously cleaning the library facility, with particular attention to commonly touched surfaces, such as elevator buttons, handrails, tabletops, etc.
- Quarantining returned library materials for 72 hours before placing them back into circulation. As a result, items are not checked in immediately, so you may see them on your card. No late fines are being assessed.
Library materials can be returned to the outside book drop. We have also located a book drop inside the lobby. Please note that items are quarantined for 72 hours before they are checked in, at which point they will be removed from your library account.
We are unable to process passport applications or provide notary services at this time.
We are unable to offer one-on-one appointments at this time.
Due to social distancing requirements, we are unable to provide space for tutoring at this time.