The South Huntington Public Library continues to welcome members of the public back to the building. At present, the library is expanding many of its pre-pandemic services.
- Patrons can browse library collections and check out items.
- Reference help, reader’s advisory, tech appointments, and other forms of staff assistance are available.
- In-person and virtual programs will be offered.
- Passport and notary services have resumed.
- Study rooms are available for use.
If you or a member of your household is ill, please refrain from visiting the library.
Questions? Check out the FAQs below, or contact us by phone 631.549.4411, email , or text.
Statement from the Board
The Board of Trustees of the South Huntington Public Library continues to be concerned about the safety of our staff and patrons during the COVID-19 pandemic. We will continue to monitor the situation. Please follow all CDC recommendations for your safety and well-being.
September marks the return of in-person programming to the library. The schedule for all ages will include some live virtual or video programs, as well as in-library events.
- The capacity for our in-person programs has decreased to allow for social distancing.
- For some in-person children’s programs, a second session is being scheduled; in others, children can still sign up for a Take & Make kit even if they cannot attend the in-library event.
- The library is returning to charging for fitness classes and other programs (such as for Defensive Driving).
Masks are recommended, but not required, while visiting the library.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, please call the library at 631.549.4411 or message us here. We will need your name, barcode and titles of the items you are requesting. We will also need a phone number where we can contact you in case there are questions and/or to let you know your materials are ready to pick up.
Put library materials in the Book Drop in the front circle or place them on the cart in the lobby.
We have taken a number of steps to mitigate risks to staff and the public. They include:
- Installing Plexiglass partitions at service desks and at public computer stations.
- Making sure hand sanitizer is widely available throughout the library.
- Providing single use disposable keyboard covers and wipes at public computer stations.
- Cleaning the library facility, with particular attention to commonly touched surfaces, such as elevator buttons, handrails, tabletops, etc.
Beginning Sept. 1, applications for the use of meeting rooms are again being accepted from South Huntington residents. Find criteria and an application here.
Quiet Study Rooms have reopened. They are available on a first come, first served basis and cannot be reserved in advance.
Passport services have resumed. Visit our passport webpage for information about documentation and fees. An appointment is required. Please call Adult Services at 631.549.4411.
Notary service has resumed as well. General hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Please call ahead to make sure a notary is available. This service is provided free of charge. View our notary services policy here.
Tutors are welcome to use the tables in the gallery on the lower level.