The South Huntington Public Library is seeking enthusiastic, friendly and creative librarians or librarian trainees to fill two part-time positions in the Youth Services Department. The successful candidates should possess a strong interest and knowledge of children's and teen literature, technology and youth programming. Hours will include evenings and weekends. Flexibility is a plus. The starting salary for a Librarian I is $29.22. The starting salary for a Librarian Trainee with a minimum of six credits towards a library degree is $23.71.
- Provide reference, research and readers advisory service in a busy Youth Services Department, including the Children's and Teen areas.
- Assist patrons in the use of library resources and technology.
- Assist with the facilitating and planning of youth programs.
Qualifications for Librarian I:
- MLS from an ALA accredited library school or completion of a minimum of six credits towards a library degree.
- Minimum of twelve (12) credits of course work in children's services, including at least three (3) credits in children's literature.
- Understanding of proactive customer service.
- Desire to work in a diverse community.
- A strong desire to work with children and teens.
- Ability to work independently as well as successfully on a team.
- Proficiency/Fluency in Spanish a plus.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule is required.
Interested candidates may apply in writing by sending an application and resume to:
Janet Scherer, Assistant Director
South Huntington Public Library
145 Pidgeon Hill Road
Huntington Station, NY 11746
or fax: 631.547.6912
You may download the application form as a PDF here.
The South Huntington Public Library is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, however those received prior to
May 10, 2017 will be given priority consideration.